Easiest beach picnic ever
- June 27th, 2022
- in Lifestyle
Summer’s here, so get together with friends and family and hit the beach with this simple and delicious seaside feast.
Lychee Cocktail with Mint and Lime
LEVEL EASY MAKES (4 Servings) Prep time 10 minutes Total time 10 minutes
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves; divided
- 1 can lychees; in syrup, fruit divided
- 1 cup vodka; chilled
- 1 lime; 1/2 juiced, 1/2 cut into wedges
- 2 bottles tonic water; 10 oz each ice
Method: In the bottom of a medium pitcher or plastic container, add 1/2 of the mint leaves, the lime juice, 1/2 of the lychee fruit, and all of the lychee syrup from the can. Muddle the ingredients together. Pour the vodka in with the muddled mixture and stir. To serve, strain the lychee, and vodka mixture between 4 tall glasses. Divide the remaining lychee fruit, mint sprigs, and lime wedges into the glasses. Add ice and top each glass with tonic water.
Prawn Baguette with Tarragon
LEVEL EASY MAKES (4 Servings) Prep time 15 minutes Total time 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon;
- finely chopped
- 1 lb cooked prawns;
- peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt; or to taste
- 1 12 inch baguette; cut into 4 pieces and sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons melted butter; optional
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; or to taste
- 2 cups pea shoots
- 4 lengths butcher’s twine; approximately 18 inches long
Method: In a large bowl, stir the mayonnaise, lemon juice and tarragon together. Add the prawns and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Brush the insides of each baguette with the melted butter, if desired. Line each with pea shoots and fill with equal portions of the prawn mixture. Tie a length of butcher’s twins around each sandwich to secure until ready to enjoy.
LEVEL EASY MAKES (4-6 Servings) Prep time 10 minutes cooking time 20 minutes Marinating time 2 hours Total time 2H 30 MINS
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 8 chicken drumsticks;
- (Leave skin on)
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pour the buttermilk into a large bowl and add the drumsticks making sure they are all well coated and submerged. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat.
Add the flour and seasonings to a shallow bowl or baking dish and stir until well combined. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and place into the flour mixture turning to coat on all sides.
Working in batches, carefully add the chicken to the hot oil and cook for approximately 20 minutes until crispy and golden, turning halfway through. Remove cooked chicken and let drain on paper towels. Let chicken rest for about 5 minutes before eating.
Snow Pea, Avocado and Watercress Salad
LEVEL EASY MAKES (4 Servings) Prep time 10 minutes cooking time 2 minutes Total time 12 minutes
- 1 cup snow peas; trimmed
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground
- black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches watercress
- 1 avocado; halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Blanch snow peas for 1-2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water; pat dry.
- Add the vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, honey, and olive oil to a small bowl and whisk until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, combine the snow peas, watercress, avocado, and walnuts. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss gently until well coated.
- LEVEL EASY
- MAKES (6 Servings)
- Prep time 10 minutes
- cooking time 12 minutes
- chilling time 1 HOUR
- Total time 1H 22MINs
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup orange juice; no pulp
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar; plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 vanilla bean; split lengthwise
- and seeds scraped
- 3 ripe peaches; halved and pitted
- 3 ripe mangos; peeled, pitted,
- and cut into think slices
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup crème fraîche
Method: Combine the water, orange juice, lemon juice, 1 cup sugar, vanilla bean, and vanilla seeds in a small pot over medium heat. Stir frequently until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins until thick and syrupy. Place fruit in a shallow bowl and carefully pour the syrup over the top. Let cool, then cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour. In a small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons of sugar together with the crème fraîche. To serve, divide the fruit into small bowls and spoon the syrup over the top. Serve the prepared crème fraîche on the side.