BVI HomeSense: Top 10 Purchases for Your Caribbean Home
In the BVI HomeSense column, we address concerns that apply to buying and selling real estate and to property ownership. In this month’s issue, we will look at some top household purchases that fit the Caribbean tropical climate, making your home even more comfortable and luxurious for outdoor living.
(1) Hammock, rocking chair and/or porch swing. There’s nothing like sitting in the breezy shade sipping your favourite beverage
(2) All-weather wicker outdoor furniture. No point in using indoor furniture outdoors which can’t handle the elements of the tropical climate
(3) Shade canopy. Sunshine in the tropics is a wonderful thing until you cannot escape it – get some shade
(4) Binoculars and telescope. Admire the passing sailboats in the daytime and at night, revel in the majestic starry sky
(5) Plunge pool. If you don’t have the space or resources for a full on swimming pool, a plunge pool goes a long way to help spend those sultry days relaxing at home
(6) Aloe and key lime plants in your garden. Aloe for the inevitable sunburn and key limes for the ever popular pie and margaritas
(7) Outdoor shower. It is refreshing to bathe in the natural elements while enjoying the view
(8) Hurricane shutters and a hurricane tracking chart. Hurricane season begins in June and extends through till November. Winds can be very strong. Protect your windows from flying objects such as coconuts and branches
(9) Hummingbird and bananakeet feeders w/ a bird identification book such as Audubon or Sibley guide. Bird watching – a new hobby you might want to take up with your property
(10) Wooden louvered shutters. Functional to keep the home cool and beautiful with a classic traditional look and feel with clean, rhythmic lines (screens and mosquito nets are also helpful to enjoy bringing the outdoors inside without the bugs)
Bonus Point: Snorkel gear and a fish identification book. The Caribbean is recognised as one of the top dive and snorkel destinations in the world. Explore!
BVI Sotheby’s International Realty is the global authority for property sales and rentals in the British Virgin Islands. Providing property valuation and management, the company specialises in residential sales, vacation villa rentals, commercial property, including private islands, marinas, hotels and resorts.
Latest posts by BVI Sotheby's International Realty (see all)